There’s something about street carts, right? Like you know it’s kind of gross, but that halal chicken rice just always calls your naaaaaaaame and you have to have it. I’m on the search for the best in my “didn’t grow up on halal and picky about quality meat” opinion. Here’s the list so far, ranked from best to worst. Taking into account the salad to meat to rice ratio, quality of lettuce in the salad, sauce to food ratio, flavor and tenderness and non-grossness of meat and price.
- the halal guys, manhattan (great flavor, great sauce, great store hours)
- the halal cart by queens college (i don’t know. probably worth a trek.)
- halal paradise, pacific entrance of atlantic barclays subway (always there for me, always wonderful)
- rafioi’s (the extra veggie options sold me. unique chicken flavor! kinda jerky, so a good choice if you’re looking for that)
- halal kitchen by barclays center (it’ll do.)
- a halal cart that starts with a k near the dekalb ave subway (ditto)
- my bodega (really last resort here)